Anne Gordon Center for Active Adults
Architect of Record: HH Architecture
- Architectural programming
- Consultation throughout design and construction
- Maximize flexibility and responsiveness of limited square footage
- Ease of management and visual control: one full-time staff member
- Vehicular and pedestrian safety in busy park setting
- Incorporate natural views and lighting
- Seamless accessibility by participants of diverse ages and abilities
Lifespan Design Studio worked closely with the local design team led by HH Architecture to program and design a 4,500 square foot neighborhood senior center in a vibrant Raleigh park. Pedestrian and vehicular safety and ease of access/egress guided the review of options for the specific location of the building and its orientation to the main roadway, other park amenities, driveways, walkways, and parking lots. Programming exercises focused on the allocation and appointment of limited space to accommodate a broad spectrum of programs and services to be offered by the City and its partners. The centrally located office provides the Program Manager with views toward the parking lot, main entrance, lobby, and adjacent activity spaces. Windows and clerestories were strategically located to incorporate natural light and views of the scenic landscape.
Photos by Jim Sink used with permission of HH Architecture.