Architect of Record: edm, Unionville, CT
- Architectural programming
- Consultation throughout design and construction
- Design for accessibility on a challenging hillside site
- Accommodate future expansion
- Incorporate state-of-the art technology and amenities
- Combine historic and contemporary aesthetic
- Provide staff access and control on two levels
- Seek LEED certification
Lifespan Design Studio served with architect of record edm for the design of a new 21,000 square foot senior center on a challenging hillside site. LDS led a comprehensive programming effort with Center staff, partners, participants, and community input; and worked closely with edm throughout all phases of design.
The state-of-the-art facility incorporates a lobby café, exercise studio, equipped fitness room, classrooms, art studio, and other spaces to support a broad spectrum of programmed activities, services, and drop-in use amenities for participants of diverse ages and abilities. Parking and entrances were developed on two levels, with open lobby-lounge areas with fireplaces on both levels uniting the two-story structure. The facility and site were laid out to accommodate proposed future additions with minimal disruption to center operations during construction.